Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to the most frequently asked questions we get asked by customers and students. If however your question isn’t answered below, please feel free to contact us and we’d be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
- What qualifications do I need?
- Is the qualification recognised in the industry?
- How long does it take to gain the qualification?
- What are the benefits of distance learning?
- Will I be helped though the distance learning process?
- Do I have to pay for the courses in full when I book?
- Is there a progression route?
- Will I be able to get a job when I have done my course?
- Do I need a CPR certificate before I go on the course?
- If I have previously done a Level 2 course, can I go straight onto a Level 3?
1. What qualifications do I need?
Always choose a course that leads to an awarding body qualification specifically in the area of health and fitness related qualifications that are government approved, such as CYQ, AIQ, OCR or City & Guilds. Approved centres are subject to rigorous inspection from awarding bodies to ensure standards and quality.
Focus Training use CYQ as their awarding body as they offer a full range of qualifications to enable progressive learning and career development. CYQ has 17 years of fitness industry experience and has established itself as a credible, nationally recognised specialist in the health and fitness industry. CYQ qualifications have industry wide respect amongst employers and fitness professionals.
2. Is the qualification recognised in the industry?
The industry has set up the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) to regulate exercise and fitness instructors and trainers by recognising qualifications allowing entry to the register at different levels. It allows employers to check that any potential employee has the required qualifications for employment in the industry. All fitness professionals on the REPs must complete more training to maintain their status on the register by gaining continuing professional development (CPD) points. This ensures that their knowledge is valid and current.
All Focus Training qualifications give full entry to the REPs and our series of PURE workshops give CPD points to qualified instructors.
3. How long does it take to gain the qualification?
Depending on your current level of knowledge, it can take between six and ten weeks to get a CYQ Level 2 certificate for Gym Instructor or Exercise to Music Instructor.
4.What are the benefits of distance learning?
Distance learning creates an opportunity to learn for those people who lead busy lives and cannot afford to spend time on lengthy course attendance. By using accelerated learning techniques, the attendance on a Focus Training course is usually 3 – 4 days once you have successfully completed your home study.
5. Will I be helped though the distance learning process?
Focus Training accepts that it is sometimes difficult for individuals to motivate themselves. Our unique approach to this encompasses regular contact with our students to ensure that the work is completed to the required standard and the student feels supported and encouraged through the whole experience. We also offer a help line to all our students.
6. Do I have to pay for the courses in full when I book?
No – Focus Training offer flexible terms to all students. We will need a deposit when you book with the balance to be paid before attendance on the practical attendance days. We do not charge candidates for this facility.
7. Is there a progression route?
Yes – Wherever you want to be within the industry, Focus Training can help you get there. We have identified development pathways to help you achieve your goals. Our course advisors will be happy to discuss this with you.
8. Will I be able to get a job when I have done my course?
As our industry grows, employers are constantly looking to employ instructors. The better the qualification you have, the better the chance of getting the job you want. Focus Training can help you find employment through its association with one of the leading recruitment companies in the industry.
9. Do I need a CPR certificate before I go on the course?
No – but we believe that it is advisable for any fitness professional to undertake a CPR course.
10. If I have previously done a Level 2 course, can I go straight onto a Level 3?
This depends on which Level 2 course was taken and how long it is since you did it. CYQ have guidelines for ‘Accreditation of Prior Achievement’. Please contact one of our course advisors who will be able to help you.